The NEW Embiggen Bookstore can be found near the Wheeler Centre. 197-203 Little Lonsdale Street, behind State Library.
Please note! Join Leslie Cannold talking about her fantastic new novel ‘The Book of Rachael’ from 7:00pm on the 28 July 2011! She’ll be chatting about God, Reason, Public Schools and how to make evidence-based sense of it all at Embiggen’s new Melbourne location.
Many, many, MANY thanks to Melbourne Skeptics and Melbourne Eastern Hills Skeptics for hosting us and being such a wonderful crowd! The Embiggen Bookstore will soon arrive in Melbourne – their official site is found at www.embiggenbooks.com.
Books recommended include:
- Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan
- Tribal Science: Brains, Beliefs and Bad Ideas by Michael McRae
- Why people Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer
- Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design by Michael Shermer
- Beyond Belief: Skepticism, Science and the Paranormal by Martin Bridgstock
- Bad Science by Ben Goldacre
- Trick or Treatment: The Undeniable Facts about Alternative Medicine by Simon Singh and Ezart Ernst
- Bad Astronomy by Phillip Plait
- Flim Flam! Psychics, ESP, Unicorns, and Other Delusions by JamesRandi
- Faith Healers by James Randi
- Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman
- 59 Seconds: How Psychology Can Improve Your Life in Less than a Minute by Richard Wiseman
- The Invisible Gorilla: And Other Ways Our Intuitions Deceives Us by Christopher Chabris and Daniel Simons
- 50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology by Lilienfeld, Lynn, Ruscio and Beyerstein
- Making Sense: Philosophy Behind the Headlines by Julian Baggini
- Do You Think What You Think You Think by Julian Baggini
- The Skeptic’s Dictionary by Robert Todd Carroll
- The Skeptic’s Guide to the Paranormal by Lynne Kelly
- The Science of Superstition (aka Supersense) by Bruce M Hood
- Crimes Against Logic by Whyte
- Denialism: How Irrational Thinking Hinders Scientific Progress, Harms the Planet, and Threatens Our Lives by Specter
- Doubt: A History by Hecht
- Sleights of Mind by Stephen Macknik, Susana Martinez-Conde and Sandra Blakeslee
- Suckers: How Alternative Medicine Makes Fools Of Us All by Rose Shapiro
- Voodoo Histories: How Conspiracy Theory Has Shaped Modern History by David Aaronovitch
- Panic Virus: Fear, Myth and the Vaccination Debate by Seth Mnookin
- Autism’s False Prophets by Paul Offit
- Believing in Magic: The Psychology of Superstition by Stuart Vyse
- Evolution: How We and All Living Things Came to Be by Daniel Loxton
- Scientific Paranormal Investigation: How to Solve Unexplained Mysteries by Benjamin Radford
- Science: Good, Bad, and Bogus by Martin Gardner
We also mention books like The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady’s Illustrated Primer and Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson and a few others that you can ask us about – visit Embiggen Books to get many more!
This show is available on Zune, mp3 via Libsyn or iTunes. Visit www.tokenskeptic.org – and I’d love to get your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. Theme songs are ‘P&P’ by Derek K Miller of www.penmachine.com and ‘365’ by Milton Mermikides, ofwww.miltonmermikides.com.
Please considering supporting the show – head to the Merchandise link on the Token Skeptic site and keep an eye out for the forthcoming Token Skeptic book, available through Lulu.com.